We have managed to clean-up most of the yard. Just look at how pretty it all is!
Part of the final challenge in cleaning up the back section before finishing the fencing was a Russian olive tree. It had grown wild with several new baby trees around it. For those not familiar with this tree, let me tell you — that tree is nothing short of evil! The wood is super dense, loaded with knots, and it sprouts some of the deadliest thorns I think I’ve ever seen! This picture gives a little bit of an idea. Those spikes poke out from the branches and tree trunk!
We’ve trimmed and cut it down as far as we can. Now we will finish it off with salt water and time. Not only do we not want to get pierced with these tree stakes, but we have animals that deserve more.
The work on the inside has now begun. We decided to attack the kitchen first since there will be no moving in until we can eat! First — get rid of the tiny kitchen counter!
I’m just under 5 feet tall — the top of the counter was almost to my chest. Trying to use it would have meant having to use a step stool, so it had to go! The counter top is significantly higher than the stove top….
So Jim disconnected the pipes and the counter was moved. What we found had our jaw dropping. The counter had no flooring at all; it was sitting directly on dirt. The wall behind the counter was almost non-existent with the outdoors being visible in spots.
Its safe to say that this is our new challenge for November. I’ll try to keep everyone up-to-date more consistently, but it appears it will be a while before the kitchen will be usable. After the wall and flooring are done, we will have to also redo some of the other walls and rewire the room. **sigh** I’m telling myself when its done it will be wonderful….